Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Going into Retirement!

Remember when I earned my Certificate in Academic Advising in December 2013 from K-State?
My diploma came in our apartment mail, and it was kind of anticlimactic. But I was still so proud that I completed it! And with a 4.0, I might add :)
A few weeks later, my boss surprised me with news that she was throwing me a reception on April 17th to officially receive my diploma from some big wigs in the advising community! I was shocked, and soo appreciative. It was also meant to be a last hoo-raw before my final day of work on April 23rd. They rolled out the red carpet for me and had all my favorite foods - even spinach dip and BYU eclairs!  They invited everyone from the college that I worked with, and all my advising friends. I was just starting to show at 20 weeks exactly!
 I loved my workspace and office, so I had to get some pictures. That HUGE window was pretty awesome, too :) Jaren was great and came to the whole reception before heading off to his test review (this all happened during finals week. We both look a little worn out). A lot of my good co-worker friends attended. Renata, a professor from the sociology department - she was SOO great to work with! Pamela and Judith Ann  - they took several of the classes with me. And.. my awesome friend and boss, Lori! She is the reason why I stayed - even when my hours were cut because of new federal regulations. She has always been so supportive. We have played and laughed together, but have also seen each other 'ugly cry' at trying times in our professional AND personal lives. She is a true friend that I will always cherish! And of course, my amazing advising team. These were taken last summer, so we are missing Kirk! They are awesome. I also stole some pics of the cute front desk girls, I'm gonna miss them. Liz, the redhead, was my right hand and handled a lot of my paperwork and filing. Ron Chapman, Associate Student Life Vice President, came to present my diploma to me! It was pretty cool. I felt like a million bucks! Dean Ogles of our FHSS college even attended!  I'm sooo grateful for this awesome opportunity. I'm so glad I'll be able to reach into my back pocket someday and use this if I need to!
I will really miss advising, the office staff, and the students - well maybe not ALL of the students ;) I have LOVED my career as an academic advisor! Can't believe I'm officially retired. My biggest career goal has always been to be a mother - I'm so excited for that upcoming "promotion!"

No comments :

Post a Comment