Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Grandpa B

On the morning of Jaren's commencement, my mom's dad had a massive, sudden heart attack and was taken from this life. We moved home to Rigby just in time to help with the funeral arrangements, prepare musical numbers, and comfort other family members. Because it was so sudden, his death was hard on everyone, but we know we'll see him again! 
I'll miss how he called me KassaRayyy! and always made me sing in order to take a treat from his famous treat bucket. I didn't want him to think I only knew one song, so I always tried to remember what I sang for him last and sing a new one. I'll miss how he used to put mice from the barn in a mason jar, and then tell me to bring it in to the house because Grandma wanted to see. I'll miss how he would pretend to be afraid of things, just to make us grandkids laugh - like the action figure Hulk Hogan and whipped cream on his desserts. I'll miss how he always had to "mark" his cats by putting teeny elastics around their tails to they would eventually fall off... I used to take the elastics OFF the tails when grandpa wasn't looking! I'll miss his smile and seeing him sit in his same chair whenever we would come over. He left such a legacy and I'm so proud to call him Grandpa!
Here's his obituary. His viewing, funeral service, and graveside were all soo wonderful! He always gave us candy bars, $2, and/or money rolls when he'd come to our games or recitals. His hankey on the arrangement even smelled like his aftershave. I've always thought it was so strange that my mom's side of the family is buried RIGHT next to my dad's side! Pretty cool. At the graveside, they actually brought in his body by horse and buggy - pretty special! Grandpa's friend sang cowboy songs - it was perfect. Grandma gave Tate some of grandpa's boots and hat and he looked just like Johnny Cash. It was a special day. Until we meet again, Grandpa! Families can be together forever! 

No comments :

Post a Comment